Friday, March 7, 2008

Slightly Annoyed Quilter

So this afternoon, I wanted to go to the fabric store to get some fabric for another quilt I plan on making. I get there and it's closed!! In the middle of the afternoon!! Why? you ask. I'll tell you why. There was a sign on the door that said the sales associates couldn't come in because of weather. Wow, you say, it must have been really awful out there for that many people to not be able to make it in to work. Well, in response, NO, it wasn't! It was snowing, but just barely. The roads were slushy, but just barely. There was snow on the ground, but just enough to cover the grass. I just don't understand what the big deal is about a little bit of snow. As long as you are careful and watch out for others, you know, exactly what you're supposed to do anyway, you'll be fine. Blah. Just had to get that off my chest.



So speaking of quilts, I'll talk about that for a minute. I never thought I would be the homemakery type to do something like that on my own. But a couple of years ago I got a sewing machine for Christmas from my mom. I thought, "Wow! That is a very generous gift! Now what can I make?" So I started small, I made bags. I think they are really cute and they were fun and fast. After a couple of those, I got bored and thought, "I'll try something a little harder, a quilt!" So I did. It was actually quite fun. Here's a picture of it. Granted it took me almost exactly a year to finish it, but I did! Now I want to start another one. Hopefully I won't procrastinate like I did last time and I'll get it done in a decent amount of time. We'll see.

2 comments:

Janell said...

Love the handiwork!! And love your template - very nice. I'll have to ask you some sewing questions - like how do you do it - one day.

Emily said...

That quilt is beautiful! It would have taken me 5 years....
I am also quite annoyed at the reaction to winter weather around here. A couple of weeks ago, Josh broke his foot. He tried to go to Urgent care twice, but both times it was closed due to the weather. Arrrg. He finally broke down and went to the (more expensive) ER.