My friend Janell got me totally hooked on this awesome and completely drama-filled blog called My Super Hopeless Romance. **Caution: do not start reading her blog unless you are ready to be consumed by it. It is addicting!! If you do read it, start from the beginning!!** It got me thinking about my college days when I had a similar experience. This is my story...
My second year of college I was living in St. George going to Dixie State. I lived with an awesome group of friends I had met down there. We also hung out with the girls across the hall. One Sunday afternoon we were at the neighbors' and these two guys came over. It was within the first couple of weeks of the semester so they were just making the rounds. Their names were Miche and Tyler. Miche(pronounced Mike) was a bit of a ladies man and took most of the attention while Tyler was quiet and kept to himself at first.
Tyler became really good friends with us and hung out a lot. I started to develop a bit of a crush on him. Finally, after lots of encouragement(he wanted to, he was just shy) he finally asked me out and we had a great time. We really started to like each other and for a short time things were going great. About two weeks after we started dating we went to General Conference. I went with a question in my mind hoping for divine intervention. "Is this the right time in my life for a serious relationship." General Conference was great, we even spent some time at his house and I met his parents. (They loved me by the way, but did you have any question about that?) So the answer to my question was "YES!!" I was quite excited. Well, apparently someone else got a different answer because one week later, Tyler dumped me. His reasoning made total and complete sense though, so I didn't really blame him. "I really really like you and we get along really great but you are the first girl I've really dated since I've been home from my mission(he got home in June, this was in October) and I just don't want to close all my options so fast." So we still stayed very good friends, he was always over at our apartment and did everything with us. We even had an early morning Tues/Thurs class that he would stop by and pick me up for and we would walk together. But he was always being set up on blind dates by people he worked with and he would come over to our apartment afterword and tell us about them or talk to us. It was torture for me. I still liked him so much.(none of his first dates ever turned into second dates. that made me happy)
Life went on and the next semester started. In February, on Valentine's Day, he asked me out. We went to Tony Roma's for dinner and he held my hand. We got back together. Things were going great again for about three weeks. And then what happens? He dumps me, again, same reason. (talk about commitment issues!) This time he said something when he talked to me that made me think. It may not seem like anything to someone else but it was a bombshell to me. He told me that he really like me and that he just wasn't ready for anything serious yet. Then he told me to be patient. That hit me like a ton of bricks because that is exactly what my patriarchal blessing says, be patient. Anyway, I decided I wasn't going to wait around this time and when that semester ended I moved home for the summer, then I went to Logan to go to Utah State. This whole time we still talked every once in a while, just to say hey and see what's new. He got engaged to someone else and so did I. I know, crazy. We both broke off our own engagements, him over Thanksgiving break and me over Christmas break. I know, even more crazy. He was still living in St. George, going to nursing school. My parents went to St. George on vacation in January so my friend and I went with them. We were hangin' out with a bunch of people from the old group and somehow Tyler and I ended up in the same car, alone. He turned to me and said, "Camille, I miss you." It was so sweet! We did the long distance thing for the rest of the semester, got engaged in April, I moved back down to St. George in May and we were married June 24, 2005 in the Bountiful Temple. It was the best day of my life.

It was a two-year-long courtship with a lot of bumps in the road but it was so worth every minute. He is so awesome and he does all he can to make me happy. So that is our sappy corny love story. Tyler doesn't really like it, but I do. I think it's cute. It just shows how right we are for each other! No matter how many people he dated he always missed me!








13 comments:
Ahhhhh!!!!!! This is a beautiful story and I am so glad you two married each other!!
(BTW - I want to wring Cordy's virtual neck!!! I just unsubscribed to the blog but have a feeling I will change my mind tomorrow ...... ahhhhh!!!!)
See, my problem is PATIENCE!!!! I want the whole story right this minute.
Awww what a sweet story...bet Tyler is glad you were patient!! I remember the day you were married...it was beautiful!!!
Love it! Love it! Love it! I could listen to you tell that story every day.
At least you two communicated (which OBVIOUSLY works), which is more than I can say for Miss Cordy and Mr Oblivious!
I don't know if I had ever heard your story. It is a great one! It is amazing how the Lord prepares us isn't it. I am glad you waited. We love you Tyler!
ok I love that I have never heard that story. We are so glad it worked out for you guys. I think you are totaly meant to be together. You are so cute and fun. We can't wait till you decide to come home so we can get together more often.
How cute!!! I don't think I've ever heard the story all at once. I only got bits and pieces. It is such a great story and even though its hard to be patient it was totally worth the wait:) You guys are amazing!
What a great story, I loved hearing it!! Don't you love what crazy ways we all come together. (btw...I am so glad Tyler got over his fear of commitment...you two are great!!!)
OF COURSE he missed you. Guys are just a little slooooowwwww sometimes. :)
Cute, cute!! I love this story. Why did you guys both end your engagements though?
So I totally read my super hopeless romance and can't decide whether to root for Cordy and Seth or not!! Still on the fence as to whether he is a jerk or not...she says no, but she is far too invested in him to be seeing anything clearly,....I am anxiously awaiting the next post!! Thanks for giving me a way to waste an entire afternoon!!
I "knew" Tyler on his mission and he just happened to post his blog on Facebook so I decided to stalk. I will probably stalk, but I really liked your "romance" story. Tell him I think that his " I haven't dated anyone since my mission" was a bad cop out. I mean.. didn't prez tell us to go home and get married!!
Gorgeous baby by the way!
Nancy Labrum Brown
Ha Ha!! So I'm not the only one that married somebody with committment issues!! Big surprise!
Hey, thanks for stopping by the quack shack. I loved your comment, and your story was just as remarkable. But you broke off an engagement, which must have hurt a little, but thank goodness you two found each other again. And we were in Bountiful when the temple was built, so I have to ask, is that where your family is? I still have family there -- Small world....what are the chances that we might know each other?
Hope to see you again soon!
I found you from Sue's blog. It makes me want to put up our story. Thanks for sharing, and stop by sometime.
Post a Comment