Yes that's right, we had an earthquake this morning! I was dead asleep and it woke me up at 5:37am. Tyler was at work (he works the graveyard shift) so I was by myself. It was one of those things where I wasn't quite awake enough to completely know what was happening and would have probably gone back to sleep and woken up later wondering if it really happened. But Tyler called me right after to make sure we were ok. He's such a good hubby. I checked on Kayden, he was still sound asleep, but because I'm a worrywart I had him sleep the rest of the morning with me. The only real damage was done to older building where it shook some bricks loose, other than that it was pretty harmless.
But it did get me thinking. Are we prepared for a natural disaster? If "The Big One" hit us would we be able to survive on what we have in our pantry? Probably not for long!! I really need to listen to what we have been told!!
Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles taught:
"Acquire and store a reserve of food and supplies that will sustain life. . . . As long as I can remember, we have been taught to prepare for the future and to obtain a year's supply of necessities. I would guess that the years of plenty have almost universally caused us to set aside this counsel. I believe the time to disregard this counsel is over. With events in the world today, it must be considered with all seriousness"
A year!? Wow, I guess I need to get on the ball.








3 comments:
Love the pic, and the reminder. Great quote!
EEkkk - we've gotta do a lot better about this. I thought the quake was a really big semi driving by our house that made our bed vibrate =). Didn't even know about it until my sister from Utah called afew hours later!
Hi camille... so glad you randomly lurked! I love to meet new bloggers/readers. You know, I've never lived in a place that earthquakes frequent... I think I would be so scared! Right on about the food storage... it is such an overwhelming task, and hard to get started, but well worth the efforts... there is something strangely comforting about knowing that no matter what, we could at least eat a decent (or sometimes not so decent, but filling) meal.Thanks for the quote... that's one to hang on my pantry door!
Oh, and I too just recently read secret life of bees... I loved it also, though I was reading a borrowed copy. Maybe it's worth getting my own!
Post a Comment