Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sleepwalking

Tyler has worked the night shift since we've been married, actually he started two years before we got married. I hate it. It doesn't bother me to stay home alone at night, that's not what I hate. What I hate is that when he comes home from work at 7:30 am it's time for him to go to sleep when the rest of the world is waking up, including me. It wasn't so bad when I was working or going to school but since Kayden was born it's been terrible trying to keep him quiet so Tyler can sleep. Anyway, the purpose of this post isn't to share my loathing for the night shift.
I have read that working the night shift takes several years off the end of your life as well as not giving you the kind of deep sleep your body needs to function correctly. I think this is the reason my hubby sleepwalks and talks in his sleep so much. It is absolutely hilarious! The first time it happened was the first night we spent in our apartment as a newlywed couple. We had already been on our honeymoon and we were still in that strange still-slightly-weirded-out-because-I'm actually-sleeping-in-the-same-bed-as-someone-else stage. I woke up in the middle of the night to see him standing in the middle of the closet messing with the clothes on the top shelf. I was only half awake so my brain was still muddled. I asked him what he was doing and he replied that he was fixing the pipes in the dishwasher. Huh? I asked him again and he mumbled something else completely incoherent. By this point I realized what he was doing and figured that playing along was the only way to go. I told him to come back to bed and we could fix it in the morning. It worked and he did. The next morning I asked him about it and he had no idea what I was talking about. He totally didn't believe me! This has happened several times since, mostly just talking and once a month or so he gets out of bed and tries to go somewhere. He'll talk about completely random things like me eating Twinkies. Sometimes if I'm awake I'll try to keep the conversation going but it usually doesn't work and it never makes any kind of sense. So after he worked last night he came to bed at about 8. I was already up for the day because Kayden was up, so Tyler was alone. At around 10:30 I went into the bedroom to get something and found him sleeping on the floor next to the bed with his hand on cell phone. The sound of me opening the door woke him up and he sat up completely confused. It took some coaxing on my part to get him back into bed because he was still pretty much asleep but he finally got there. Later when he got up for the day he remembered waking up on the floor with no recollection of how he got there. My silly man. I'm hoping he doesn't try to drive somewhere one of these days.

5 comments:

Janell said...

That is crazy!!! Poor guy, that schedule sounds tough for him (annoying for you!). Don't you just love the random stuff you come up with when you are dreaming???

justin and sherrie said...

Holy cow! I'm laughing so hard! That's hilarious! Hopefully he'll be able to not work the night shift for the rest of his life and join the life of the living. You should video him sometime. That would be so funny!

Brady and Christi said...

I'm glad to hear that my husband is not the only one that sleep walks or talks sometimes. Brady had been known to do some pretty funny things and not remember what he does!

anna said...

this made me laugh so much, because me and all of my siblings are guilty of the same kind of things. the other night in my sleep i told niles that i boston celtics won the nba championship because the coah doc rivers was such a nice guy. i have no memory of this.

Tori :) said...

My dad and brother are BIG sleepwalkers!! That's hilarious.
That scares me about nite shifts taking years off life, etc... My hubby is a cop, on nite shift. Thats like a double whammy!! :(