Sunday, May 2, 2010

Good Eats

I've come across a couple of amazing recipes lately and I thought I'd share!!

First up:
Chocolate Covered Cake Balls

cake mix(+ingredients to make it)
1 container store bought frosting
2 bags chocolate chips


You can pick any flavor cake mix, any flavor frosting, and any kind chocolate chips.  That's part of the fun.  There are so many combinations to try!  My favorite so far is Yellow Butter cake with cream cheese frosting and white chocolate chips.
So here's how ya do it...
Bake the cake as directed.

Let it cool enough to handle but it's still warm. Dump it in a bowl and mix it with the frosting.



Put this mixture in the fridge for a few hours, until you can ball it up easily without it falling apart. Roll them into aprox. 1 inch balls, like a cookie dough ball.  After they're all balled up put them in the fridge to harden up again. 


Next, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave. It only takes a minute or two.  Then, dip the balls into the chocolate, coating it completely.  This is the hardest part, it takes a bit to get the hang of it but you will!


Cool and Enjoy!!!  The flavors I used in the pictures are Devils food cake with cream cheese frosting and white and milk chocolate(since it takes two bags of chocolate chips I usually do one of each, gives a little variety!)  It was really really rich. A little too chocolatey for me.

The other one I wanted to share is this awesome salsa I found on my friend Alicia's blog.  De-lish.

Cowboy Cavier
1 can sweet corn--drained
1 can olives--chopped
1 can black beans--drained
1 bunch green onions--chopped
3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup lime juice
5 cloves garlic--minced
1/2 tsp oregano
3 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

***Mix all of the above ingredients together and then just before you serve add..
3-4 tomatoes--diced
4-5 avacados--diced

It makes a lot but it is so so good!!


Have you had any great recipes you'd like to share?



2 comments:

Gwen said...

I made salsa yesterday from my Bountiful Basket Mexican pack. It is SOOOOOOOOOO strong with the garlic (I used less than you) that Roger is about ready to throw it out !!

I used everything you did, except I added the mexican squash (kind of like zucchini), and no beans. Also, I use white shoepeg corn (yummy)!!

Eat up !!

Francis Family said...

I'm a Y.W. leader and we made those balls except with an oreo filling and a cookie dough filling. For the oreo you just mix one pack of oreos (crush til really fine, like dirt) then mix with softened cream cheese. Roll into balls and freeze them. Dip them in the melted choc. while still pretty frozen (only thaw for about 1 hr.). Yummy! Also, check out my food blog www.soflippingood.blogspot.com. It only gets updated about every other month, but it's been fun.